Friday, June 13, 2008

I'm going to try not to blow myself up.


It's mid June and that means it's bunker time. People have difficulty conceptualizing what it is I do exactly unless they have done it themselves. Most of the time they think I'm hanging out selling fireworks at a stand in the Smith's parking lot. That's what I thought I was going to be doing when I started six years ago. Man, was I surprised. I actually pack large firework explosives that are trucked to firework shows all over the country. These are not sparkles and bottle rockets. Today I packed a "bomb" that was 16 inches in diameter- I couldn't get my arms around it, let alone lift it! Occasionally, I also get to drive 16-20 foot Ryder trucks from Downtown to Fairfield. That's about 1 hour of the most terrifying driving I've ever experienced. I'm sure I have scared others around me as well. Keep in mind, my mode of transportation is a Mini Cooper. My first summer working, the owner told me that if an accident were to occur we would meet at the cemetery. I didn't realize that there is an actual cemetery down the street from the bunk! Every summer is an adventure.

5 comments:

Crawford Family said...

Haaa! Chris is sooo funny! If something ever goes off you have to say "I've been blown up take me to the hospital!"

Ashley said...

Man, does this job ever rock.

Jaci said...

I still can't believe you do this for summer work! Outside in the sun and heat?!?! I would DIE!

Shannon said...

For as educated as you are, I am a little suprised to see you still do this for summer work. Oh yeah, I did it once too. Just don't blow yourself up!

Kellee said...

Yeah, I cant see you driving a big Ryder truck! or working with ginormous fireworks! Have fun! Dont blow up!! :)